Pac-Man Diary

A diary from 2002/2003 following the development of a Pac-Man clone using the BlitzPlus game development software.

13th August 2003 by Wobbles

Found the edible ghost sound! Checked everything was running smoothly and provided a download. 18 months in the making and Wobman is finally complete! Go play!

12th August 2003 by Wobbles

I’ve managed to resolve all the issues I had and Wobman is running like a dream now. I’ve made the latest version (v1.13) available for download which includes the executable.

I had to make one decision regarding the high score which is now saved to file. In the original arcade version the score clocked at 100000 points. I was tempted to make mine go higher, but in keeping with the object of this project, I’ve kept it just like the original. If anyone manages to clock it, they probably need locking up anyway.

The only thing left to do before I release the final (?) version v1.2 is to make a last effort to get the edible ghost sound and tidy up the code a bit and that’s it!

8th August 2003 by Wobbles

I did some more work on Wobman last night. Odd things still seem to occur with the sound even with the latest version of Blitz (v1.35). However, I’ve managed to overcome what I think is a bug in Blitz and got the sound working. Compiled the exe and everything still runs okay!

I’ve got a few things to fix before I release the full compiled version on you poor people.

1. Need to fix the siren sound change which get more frantic as the number of pills remaining reduces. Was working previously, but doesn’t seem to be at the moment.
2. Blanks are appearing in the score at certain points
3. Shadow’s speed-up towards the end of a round doesn’t seem to be working

That’s all I know of at the moment anyway. So you could see the release of a compiled (final?) version this weekend.

6th August 2003 by Wobbles

Errr…this diary is waaaayyyy behind. A year and half since I last posted here? Where does time go? Anyway, since my last post I’ve rewritten the whole shebang in Blitz3D, and most recently I’ve tried it with the new BlitzPlus which is designed specifically for 2D games.

The game has been revamped a lot and I’ve now included the full intro sequence as seen in the arcade version, 2-player mode, high scores, well….everything really! I’ve also decided to leave out the banner surround on the new Blitz version of Wobman. I think it was a bit tacky.

I think I’ve now fixed the sound bug that was plaguing me a few months back when I stopped working on it. I think it was just caused by a typo. Duh! The other big issue, keyboard controls, well, it’s a non-issue with Blitz. Nice one.

31st January 2002 by Wobbles

I extend the ‘eating ghosts’ code so that when you eat them a sound plays and the amount you’ve scored for eating it is displayed. I want it look just like the arcade version. The game now has a brief pause when you eat a ghost, this is basically to display the amount of points you’ve just received.

Hmmm…the overall look of the screen doesn’t feel quite right. I decide to create a ‘Wobman’ banner at the top of the screen. This takes a while but it improves the overall look somewhat.

I think it’s time to add some sort of title screen. At the moment the game goes straight into the action. I want the title screen to show all the ghosts and points you can score. This really requires some animation, but since it’s getting late I just implement a static title screen for the moment. Looks ok. It displays a message telling you to press a key to start. Have to recode the game loop a bit to take into account this new page.

I have to play around with the fonts quite a bit before finding satisfactory ones. I think about recreating the character set used in the game, but decide this isn’t really necessary. Maybe later if I feel it needs it. I use standard ‘Arial’ for the text and ‘Courier New’ for the digits, both in bold. This looks pretty much like the original game.

Arrggg….just found a bug. Why does this always happen just as I’m about to give up for the night.

IF (about to go to bed)
generate really annoying bug
run perfectly

I must remove this bit of code. If you eat the red ghost and then consume the last pill before his eyes get back to the hut, he starts the next level with his eyes disembodied from his body by 200 pixels! Looks rather amusing, but not really desirable. I manage to fix this by resetting any offsets before starting a new level.